Monday 15 October 2012

Chidren's Responses


Responses from the Post-it-note Survey


How do you feel about writing?

Purpose/context
It depends on what we are writing
It depends on what we are writing about
Well it depends what type of writing it is
I love writing but it depends what I’m writing about
It depends on what kind of writing

Positive thoughts
I think it’s fun and exciting
Sometimes it’s ok
Writing makes me feel happy but sometimes it’s a pain and pants!
Very good
When I’m writing I feel happy because I like writing
I feel fine about it
I feel free to put my thoughts from my brain down my arm into my pencil and onto paper

Negative thoughts
It is rubbish
Sometimes boring
I do not like writing
Writing is not my favourite subject
I like writing but sometimes it can be a bit boring

Genre specific
I like it when it’s fantasy otherwise it’s utterly boring
I love reports I think writing can be fun when you write stories and I like reading David Williams’ books because they are funny.
I like writing stories but not information
I feel happy about writing because it brings out your imagination when you write stories
Depends on what sort of writing
I find story writing fun but any other kind of writing quite boring
It depends on what kind of writing but I would feel quite happy!
I like writing and making posters
I like writing if it’s a story or play script, no other type of writing
I like writing stories but sometimes writing is boring
I just like writing stories
I love writing and I write books at home

Un-specified barriers to writing
I like it but sometimes it’s difficult for me
I feel happy but would be better to do something else
I like writing sometimes

Length of task
I feel writing is a bit boring because it takes a long time to finish

Using ICT
Writing is fine but I prefer typing
I would rather type it on the computer

What do you like most about writing?

Genre specific
I like poems
The type of writing I like is adventure story writing because it’s exciting
I like story writing because it uses your imagination
Story writing because you can do anything because it’s your story
Writing poems and stories
I like writing adventure stories and planning for technical projects
I love writing reports, stories, information and poetry because they’re all fun
I love writing stories.
I enjoy writing poetry
I enjoy writing my own stories
Writing stories
I like writing poems
I like recounts because I know what to write but with story writing you’re sitting there thinking what to write for ages
Writing up a story completely made up from scratch
I enjoy writing stories that I make up
I mostly like writing stories because they are fun
Making my own stories
I like writing stories
I like writing poems and stories
I like free writing because you can use your imagination
It’s fun and free to do but can be perplexing and I like fiction
Reports and stories
Story writing is my favourite writing and diary writing
I like to write stories and poems
I like writing stories and poems


Freedom to be creative and express yourself
I like it that I can write in different ways
I like writing everything in my own language
I like all types of writing but as long as teachers are not bossy!
That you can express yourself
I enjoy everything about writing and my own book

Barriers to writing
I hate when I’m writing and I’m really into it and the teacher says stop
I don’t really like writing


What do you not like about writing?
Speed
I am a very slow writer
Writing hurts my arm
Writing hurts my arm after a while
I don’t like spelling and hand writing because it hurts
Writing hurts my hand
Sometimes I am a bit slow and I am going to miss my play
Sometimes I am a bit slow and because I don’t like writing

Spellings/Grammar/Handwriting
Spelling and hand writing
Handwriting is boring and it aches after a while
Grammar
I don’t like writing grammar because I get confused where to put comas sometimes
Joined up hand writing and my hand aches
I don’t know all the spellings
Spelling because I get it wrong
I don’t like spelling
I hate grammar and when the teacher says stop

Length
I don’t enjoy writing lots
It’s too much and my hand hurts sometimes
I don’t like it because it hurts my hand and it’s sometimes boring
Writing is too long
It takes a long time
Writing paragraphs and paragraphs of writing

Genre
I hate play scripts because you have to read so many lines
I don’t like grammar, reports, poems and being told what type of writing but not what subject
I also don’t like poems
I hate play scripts and recounts and reports and poems
When we do questions about books I get bored and my hand hurts and gets tired
Information writing
I don’t like grammar and recounts
I hate report writing its rubbish!
I hate reports

Restriction of creativity
I don’t like people telling you what to write

Misc
I love writing and do not hate anything
I don’t like it

Limited ICT
I don’t like pens running out and I want to use a computer instead of writing


What would you change about writing?


Format
I wish my hand writing was better
I would like to use computers for writing more
I hate using pens to write
I like writing on different colour paper and do more on computers
That you can write in comic book way
I love writing on different sizes of paper and colours
Draw a picture at the end
ICT!!!
Option to use ICT
ICT option to improve typing
Make writing more fun and ICT
Have an option to use a computer and more fun poems and story writing and be able to talk about your writing
Describe something you like sometimes and then draw it


Miscellaneous barriers to writing
I would like to change language I can write in
You should get to live it first and then you get to fantasize


Freedom to select the purpose/context/genre
Not to be told what to write
I would like to write in pencil not pen and unlimited time
Writing more stories
Make it fun and make poems rhyme
Make it more fun and writing stories
I would like to write more poetry
We only write play scripts and our own stories
I would like to do more of my own stories

Less focus on spellings/grammar/punctuation and handwriting
I hate getting spellings checked and punctuation and my hand writing
I would like to be told how to spell a word instead of being told to look it up in a dictionary
I would like to change spelling
I would like to change having to join up my hand writing and do more story writing

Quantity
So it can’t take too long
I would like to have more time
To have a talk about writing and have your own amount of work

Technical skills
I would like to expand my sentences
I would like to be more interesting when I am writing and have better ideas

Talk for Writing
I would like to talk about it
Be able to talk about your writing


Where do we go from here?

In response to the feedback which we categorised into groups, we decided upon the action that needed to be taken in order to address some of the difficulties or drawbacks of writing some of the children were experiencing. The following flow charts depict how the area of improvement were highlighted, the theory to support our understanding of how to best overcome the issue and finally, the action we took to hopefully alleviate the issue.















No comments:

Post a Comment